Did you know that your clothes dryer could cause a house fire? Imagine waking up and your home is on fire and you find out that the fire was started from your clothes dryer. According to the National Fire Protection Agency dryers and washing machines were involved in one out of every 22 home fires in 2006-2010. It all happens because of failure to clean the machines. It is very important to have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional. There are a lot of professional appliance repair companies that specialize in dryer vent cleaning.
Just like you service your vehicle by getting a oil change, tire rotated, and other maintenance done; you have to do the same for your dryer. Here are some tips to help with your dryer:
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Depending on how often you dry clothes you should at least clean the lint filter twice a week. The build-up of lint in the dryer or in the vent can be ignited from the heat of the dryer causing a flame.
- Use a heat resistance flexible duct. This can help prevent a house fire.
- Keep dryer in good working order.
- Make sure the dryer is plugged into the proper outlet.
- Always follow the manufactures operating instructions and never overload a dryer.
- Have a dryer vent cleaning done once a year by a dryer vent cleaning in St. Louis, MO cleaning professional.
When hiring a dryer vent cleaning professional ask if they use professional commercial grade equipment. Many handy men attempt to clean vents with blowers and cheap tools that can be brought at Lowe’s and Home Depot.
These tools do not get your vent fully cleaned. In addition, there are a lot of handy men and fly by night companies out there so you have to be sure you are dealing with a stable company with a good reputation. Ask the company if they can provide you with a before and after video inspection of the duct. If you have a Whirlpool, ask the technician if he can test your machine with the Whirlpool test kit. This technology can give you an idea on how dirty your vent is. Be sure they test the machines before and after, that way you know if it was successful.
Yearly dryer vent cleanings can also lower electric bills because it cuts back on drying times. If you have never had your dryer vent cleaned; call a company today to get your vent inspected